Thursday, October 23, 2008

Witness of the War

Dexter Filkins, prize-winning war correspondent for the New York Times, was on campus to promote his new book, The Forever War (2008) on 10/16. I was very moved by his 8/22 New York Times Magazine article My Long War. When I visited the Allen Family in September, I was surprised to see that Bruce was reading this book as well.

I attended both his seminar and Reading. In both sessions, the rooms were almost full with quite a few students. He showed a few slides during his reading session. He told the audience that he has numerous near-death experience, which is also mentioned in his book, and his life insurance costs about $17,000 per month. Someone asked him if he will return to Iraq. He said that he has not made his decision yet.




No comments: